Skip to content
Frequently Asked Questions About the Redevelopment Project
Why build a new hospital?
- We are building the New HGH to better meet the needs of our community.
- The population has increased by thousands since the current hospital was built. Our population is also getting older and the healthcare needs are more complex.
- We need more bed capacity; new infrastructure and equipment to meet the best practices in care delivery.
- For further information on the features of the New HGH, please visit Project Highlights.
What are the benefits for patients and families?
- The New HGH will offer more specialty care, closer to home.
- Healthcare services, exams and treatments will be available locally, eliminating the need for patients to travel to a city hospital.
- The New HGH will reduce the cost and stress associated with travelling to the city for medical appointments.
Will the hospital close or reduce services during construction?
- No, the hospital will remain fully functional throughout the 4-year construction period.
- We have moved support services off site to create empty space and allow building the New HGH from within.
When will the New HGH be complete?
- The New HGH should be completed in the fall of 2020.
Will the New HGH be a green building?
- The building features several green initiatives such as rooftop solar panels and a green roof.
- The green roof will help with energy conservation and also promote a soothing and healing environment, as it will be seen from inpatient rooms.
How much will the project cost and who will pay for it?
- Our new hospital will cost $160 million, including $13 million for biomedical equipment.
- The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care will cover 88% of the cost while the community will pay the remaining 12%.
- The hospital and the community, through the HGH Foundation, will pay for most of the new medical equipment.
Will the project create jobs?
- The project will create or maintain approximately 120 construction jobs over the 48-month construction period.
- The hospital will hire 100 new qualified healthcare professionals and 20 new physicians.
How can I help or get involved?
- Should you have any other questions about HGH redevelopment project, please contact us by email.