Surge of respiratory illnesses in the region
The number of individuals with colds, flu, COVID-19, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) and other viral respiratory illnesses is on the rise in the region. Emergency rooms throughout the region are very busy.
Wait times at the HGH Emergency Department
Wait times are currently longer than usual. However, don’t neglect your health and come to the hospital if you need urgent medical attention.
If you or your child have any of the following severe symptoms, call 911 immediately or head to the emergency department:
Symptoms for adults:
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Loss of consciousness
Symptoms for children:
- Working hard to breathe (the lower chest is moving in more than normal when the child breathes, nostrils are flaring, child is grunting)
- Bluish skin
- Unable to breastfeed or drink
- Very sleepy or difficult to wake
- Peeing less than usual
- Fever with rash
- Seizures or convulsions
- Fever in an infant younger than 3 months
Resources in case of respiratory illnesses
HGH Respiratory Assessment Centre
The HGH Respiratory Assessment Centre is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by appointment.
Please use the Main Entrance and follow directions to get to the Assessment Centre.
- For people aged 14+ with any of the following worsening symptoms:
- Fever or chills lasting for more than 5 days
- Cough (not related to other causes)
- Mild shortness of breath
- Decrease or loss of taste or smell
- Muscle aches or joint pain
- Extreme tiredness
- Sore throat
- Runny, stuffy or congested nose
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Abdominal pain (not related to other causes)
- Pink eye (not related to other causes)
See the list below for other evaluation services to avoid a visit to the ER.
List of other respiratory resources
This center allows residents of Prescott-Russell and surrounding counties to get care and avoid a visit to the Emergency Room.
- The centre screens, evaluates and treats children and adults with symptoms of respiratory illnesses such as the common cold, influenza, COVID-19, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and other viral respiratory illnesses.
- The centre is located at the Glengarry Memorial Hospital in Alexandria.
- The centre and is open Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed December 26 and January 2.
For more information or to make an appointment, visit the Glengarry Memorial Hospital website.
The Centre de santé communautaire de l’Estrie (CSCE) offers a walk-in clinic for adults and children.
- The clinic is reserved exclusively for the evaluation of respiratory diseases for the population of Prescott-Russell as well as the counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.
- The clinic is open every Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. It will be closed on December 25, 2022 and January 1, 2023.
For more information, visit the Centre de santé communautaire de l’Estrie website.
COVID-19 Kids Come First Care Clinic
If your child is over 2 months old and :
- he or she has new symptoms such as fever, cough, vomiting, abdominal pain, earache or runny nose
- cannot be seen in-person by their primary care provider
- and the child needs to be assessed in person, you can visit the COVID-19 Kids Come First Care Clinic.
For more information or to book an appointment, visit CHEO.
Where to Go: Alternatives to the Emergency Department
Find alternatives to the emergency department and tips to help you decide if your child or youth should go to the emergency department. Visit the CHEO website.
For medical advice or information from a registered nurse, call 1-866-797-0000. The service is free, confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The nurse will help you decide whether to treat the problem yourself, see a doctor, go to a clinic, contact a community service or go to the emergency room. For more information on this service, visit Health Connect Ontario.
Primary Care Access Point
The digital Primary care access point (GAP) can direct you to the appropriate health services. For more information, visit the website GAP.
Québec Medical Appointment Scheduler
This online portal allows you to schedule an appointment in family medicine. To find a priority care clinic in your area, visit Québec Medical Appointment Scheduler.