The Medical Imaging Department provides a full range of exams and screening tests for inpatients and outpatients, using state-of-the-art equipment.
Medical imaging provides internal images of the human body through the use of different techniques. Medical imaging is used in surgeries and to diagnose diseases and assess their severity and progression. In the emergency room, it is used to assess the condition of patients suffering from trauma, stroke or severe pain.
The Medical Imaging Department offers these exams:
- Bone mineral densitometry (BMD)
- Virtual colonoscopy (CT)
- CT scan (Computed tomography)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) – new service coming to HGH
- Radiography (X-ray)
- Specialized radiology (fluoroscopy – barium exams, arthrography, facet injections)
- Ultrasound (specialized exams: carotid Doppler, small part, thyroid, breast, shoulder)
- Cardiac Ultrasound
How to access our services?
- You must have a referral from your family doctor or another healthcare professional to pass a medical imaging examination.
- Referrals from chiropractors are accepted, but are no longer covered by the Ontario Health Card. The patient must pay for the examination.