Specimen collections such as blood tests are essential tools used to screen, diagnose, treat and monitor patients’ health condition. The Specimen Collection Centre (SCC) provides blood, urine, stool, mucus and tissue collection services.
Who de we serve?
- Adults and children
- Outpatients visiting any HGH ambulatory clinic will be instructed by physicians on where to go for specimen collection.
- Patients from any other clinics in Ontario (community clinics, family medicine, family health teams) have to use private laboratories, as they receive funding from the province to provide these services. Most family health clinics can do on-site collections. Follow the link to find a laboratory near you.
Out of province patients
- Outpatients visiting physicians at HGH Ambulatory Clinics and other external clinics.
How to access our services?
- You need a completed and signed test requisition from your physician. Please pick up your specimen collection kit at HGH as not all kits are compatible with the testing provided by our laboratory.
- You do not need an appointment for blood work or any other sample collection, although a few tests are performed on specific days only.
- You may come in for sample collection anytime between 7:30 am and 3:15 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays. We encourage patients who are not required to fast to come later in the morning or day.
- You need to register at the Information Desk if you are coming in for a sample collection or bringing back a sample.
- You do not need to register to pick up a Home collection kit. Please go directly to the Specimen Collection Centre.