Mobility for improved patient outcomes
We encourage you to stay active while in the hospital to reduce your risk of complications arising from long periods of bed rest. When possible, engage in the following daily activities to prevent the loss of autonomy:
- Sit in a chair for your meals.
- Get up to get washed and dressed or to brush your teeth.
- Walk the corridors of the patient care unit, alone or with help if needed.
- Sit in a chair during visits from healthcare professionals or family members.
- Exercise in bed, move joints and change position at least every two hours.
In keeping active, you will benefit from:
- Better breathing
- Better appetite and digestion
- More restorative sleep
- Less weakness and dizziness
- Less risk of falls
- Less pain