The Hawkesbury and District General Hospital (HGH) Respiratory Therapy Program provides diagnostic exams and education for people afflicted with breathing disorders, allergies, respiratory infections or chronic pulmonary diseases.
We offer the following tests and services:
- Arterial blood gas (ABG): used to identify the level of oxygen in your blood at rest and with activity; and to help determine how severe your breathing problem is
- Body plethysmography: used to identify how much air is in your lungs after you take in a deep breath, and how much air is in your lungs after breathing out as much as you can
- Bronchial challenge testing (methacholine) used to determine if your lungs’ airways react to a specific trigger and can help confirm if you have asthma or how severe your asthma is
- Complete pulmonary function testing / Spirometry: used to identify how much air you can breathe into your lungs and how much air you can quickly blow out of your lungs
- Diffusion studies: used to identify how well the oxygen in the air you breathe into your lung moves from your lungs into your blood
- Home oxygen assessment
- Individual and group education sessions for pulmonary disease management
- Walking oximetry: used to identify the level of oxygen in your blood at rest and with activity; and to help determine how severe your breathing problem is
Who do we serve?
- Children aged 12 and older
How to access our services?
You must have a referral from your physician or nurse practitioner to book an appointment.