The Hawkesbury and District General Hospital (HGH) is growing to serve you better! Through a major redevelopment project, your community hospital is transforming into a full service regional hospital.
What does the redevelopment project mean for patients? It means more specialty medical care closer to home, larger and more comfortable facilities and state-of-the-art medical equipment.
New Main Entrance
- Open since December 2019
- Located between Blocks A and B
- Open 24 hours a day
New Emergency Department
- The expansion of the Emergency Department is complete as of September 30, 2019. The regular Emergency and EDAS (Emergency Department Ambulatory Services) are both fully operational.
- Please follow signage when arriving at HGH.
- Parking is available near the Emergency Entrance and payable through parking meters.
- You may also use the Visitor Parking and walk inside the hospital to get to the Emergency Department. The parking fee is $5.00 per visit (no in and out privileges).
Expansion of the Medical Imaging Department
- New MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) ready for patient exams in July 2020
- New CT scan ready for patient exams in December 2019
- Relocation of ultrasound, mammography and bone density to renovated premises in October 2019
- Friends Gift Shop relocated to their new and permanent location in May 2019
Block B – New Building
- The new three-storey building opened on January 15, 2018.
- Block B houses the following clinics, units and departments:
- Administration and Human Resources
- Ambulatory Clinics
- Complex Continuing Care (inpatients unit)
- Medical Day Unit
- Outpatient Rehab
- Speciment Collection Centre
- Located West of the hospital. Please follow signage.
- New paving, gates and pay stations.
- Parking fee is $5.00 per visit – no in and out privileges.
Main Components of the Redevelopment Project
Expansion of the Emergency Department
- Three times more space and a new trauma unit
- Partial opening in March 2018 and fully operational in September 2019
New Ambulatory Clinics Pavilion
- Consolidation of all specialty clinics in a three-storey 72,000 sq. ft. building (Block B)
- Rehab services for outpatients
- Medical Day Care Unit
- Opened in January 2018
New Family Birthing Centre
- Relocation into a new 11,000 sq.ft. section
- The centre features 5 LDRP rooms (labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum) and 3 regular patient rooms
- The new Family Birthing Centre opened in May 2017
New Perioperative Services
- New 8,600 sq. ft. building erected in the former courtyard
- Two new state-of-the-art operating rooms feature larger and much brighter spaces designed to improve patient flow and safety
- Perioperative services include the surgical unit, day surgery and endoscopy unit
- Reduced wait times and improved access to different types of surgeries
- The new Perioperative Services opened in September 2016
Increased number of beds
- 100 beds in total, up from 69 prior to the redevelopment project
- New beds in acute care, intensive care and psychiatry
Full service Medical Imaging Department
- New CT scan (October 2019)
- New MRI service (magnetic resonance imaging, coming to HGH in 2020)
New facilities for training and medical teaching
- Facilities for medical training programs with Ottawa University and nursing programs with community college La Cité
State-of-the-art computer system
- New Health Information System launched on June 1, 2019 and patient electronic medical record through Epic and MyChart
- Integrated system with The Ottawa Hospital and healthcare partners
HGH Info Project Newsletter
Since February 2014, HGH has been publishing a newsletter to keep neighbours, staff and stakeholders informed of the project evolution. The Info Project is published within the HGH Dialogue since November 2015. To download or view a copy, consult the News section.
Project Management Office
Hawkesbury and District General Hospital
1111 Ghislain Street
Hawkesbury, ON K6A 3G5
Telephone: 613-632-1111 extension 21410