The Hawkesbury and District General Hospital (HGH) is growing to serve you better! Through a major redevelopment project, your community hospital is transforming into a full service regional hospital.
What does the redevelopment project mean for patients? It means more specialty medical care closer to home, larger and more comfortable facilities and state-of-the-art medical equipment.
Are you visiting someone or do you have an appointment at HGH? Please check the notices in the construction updates section below. In the course of construction, there will changes to parking, entrances and location of departments.
Plan of the New HGH as of January 15, 2018
Opening of New Building – Block B
- Opening of a new three-storey building on January 15, 2018.
- Block B houses Ambulatory Clinics, the Complex Continuing Care Unit and administrative offices.
- Opening dates of departments in their new premises:
- Medical Day Unit – January 15
- Ambulatory Clinics – January 22
- Telemedicine – January 29
- Cardiology – January 29
- Specimen Collection Centre – January 29
- Hemodialysis – January 29
- Outpatient Rehab – February 5
- Complex Continuing Care (inpatients unit) –February 15
- Emergency and Intensive Care Unit – late Winter
Temporary New Main Entrance
- Opening on January 22, 2018
- Located at the west end of the newly opened Block B.
- Open daily from 6:30 am to 8:00 pm.
- Please use the Emergency Entrance after 8:00 pm.
- Located West of the hospital.
- The number of parking spaces is back to normal and paving is complete.
- The location of the entrance to the visitors parking lot will change in February 2018. We are also changing the gates and pay stations. Please follow signage.
- Parking fee will go from $4.00 to $5.00 per visit.
- Please follow signage to the new Main Entrance.
Main Components of the Redevelopment Project
New Ambulatory Clinics Pavilion
- Consolidation of all specialty clinics in a three-storey 72,000 sq. ft. building
- Rehab services for outpatients
- Medical Day Care Unit
- Opened in January 2018
New Family Birthing Centre
- Relocation into a new 11,000 sq.ft. section
- The centre features 5 LDRP rooms (labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum) and 3 regular patient rooms
- The new Family Birthing Centre opened in May 2017
New Perioperative Services
- New 8,600 sq. ft. building erected in the former courtyard
- Two new state-of-the-art operating rooms feature larger and much brighter spaces designed to improve patient flow and safety
- Perioperative services include the surgical unit, day surgery and endoscopy unit
- Reduced wait times and improved access to different types of surgeries
- The new Perioperative Services opened in September 2016
Expansion of the Emergency Department
- 3 times more space, a new trauma unit and ambulatory emergency services
Increased number of beds
- 100 beds in total, up from 69 prior to the redevelopment project
- New beds in acute care, intensive care and psychiatry
Full service Diagnostic Imaging Department
- New CT scanner
- New MRI service (magnetic resonance imaging)
New facilities for training and medical teaching
- Facilities for medical training programs with Ottawa University and nursing programs with community college La Cité
State-of-the-art computer system
- Patient electronic medical record
- Integrated system with The Ottawa Hospital and healthcare partners
HGH Info Project Newsletter
Since February 2014, HGH has been publishing a newsletter to keep neighbours, staff and stakeholders informed of the project evolution. The Info Project is published within the HGH Dialogue since November 2015. To download or view a copy, consult the News section.
Project Management Office
Hawkesbury and District General Hospital
1111 Ghislain Street
Hawkesbury, ON K6A 3G5
Telephone: 613-632-1111 extension 21410