Orthopedic surgery is a specialty that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases affecting bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons and nerves, and the rehabilitation of people with these diseases. To help their patients, orthopedic surgeons use surgery as well as medical treatment and rehabilitation.
Orthopedic surgery performed at HGH
- Arthroplasty (surgery to a joint, such as knee or hip replacement)
- Arthroscopy (examination of a joint or minor surgery using an endoscopic camera)
- Foot surgery (correction of hallux valgus (bunions), hammer toe)
- Upper limb surgery (wrist and elbow)
- Treatment and repair of fractures, dislocations and ruptures of tendons or ligaments
Most orthopedic surgeries performed at HGH are day surgery, meaning that patients do not need to be hospitalized. You arrive at the hospital on the morning or your surgery and return home later on the same day. Therefore, you will have to be away from work or home for less time and you can recover in the comfort of your own home.
Who do we serve?
- Adults and children
- We see patients of all ages at the Orthopedic Clinic. However, some pediatric surgeries may be performed at HGH, while others will be referred to CHEO, depending on the age and build of the child, as well as the complexity of the procedure.
How to access our services?
You must have a referral from your physician to book an appointment with a surgeon at the Orthopedics Clinic. The surgeon will recommend the type of surgery you need.
Orthopedic Surgery is part of Perioperative Services.